Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

One of the joys of motherhood is doing the laundry. I get to enjoy two loads of it a day with my family of six. That's 60 loads a month and a grand total of..... hold on let me get the calculator or my husband whichever is closer. OK a grand total of 720 loads a year at the very least. WOW!!!! That's a whole lot of sorting, folding, and putting away. That doesn't include the extra loads from sliding down dirt piles and bedding. The detergent adds up too. So since last summer I've been searching the internet for a good laundry detergent recipe. I think I have finally found a good one and I wanted to share it with you. I've been using this detergent for about a month now and It works great. It even works on my husbands work clothes. It has a nice clean smell to it. It's very faint so if you want a stronger smell you'll have to use fabric softener along with it. Now I want to make it clear that I did not come up with this recipe. I want to give credit where the credit is due. I found this recipe over at Being Creative to keep my sanity. She has a great post there complete with pics. So here it is..... drum roll please....

Homemade Laundry Soap

(1) 4lb12oz box of Borax

(1) 4lb box of Arm & Hammer baking soda (that's the big box not the little one that's pictured)

(1) box Arm & hammer Washing Soda (55oz)
2 small or 1 large tub of Oxy clean. The store brand is ok too. Just try to have a total of 3.5lb.

3 bars of Fels Naptha


You can find all these things right at Walmart in laundry isle. Except the baking soda...that's in the grocery section. I paid around $20 for it all. 

Get a 3 gallon bucket or a garbage pail lined with a plastic bag and dump all your powdered ingredients into it. Now get a cheese grater and  start shredding those Fels Naptha bars until your arm falls off.  Now add   the shredded bars into the powdered mix and give it all a real good stir.Pour the finished mix into a Reusable container with a lid. I used an old cheese ballz container. I also saved the scoop that came with my Oxy clean. Your going to use about 2 Tbl per large load of laundry. That's it....start washing.


No comments:

Post a Comment