Monday, December 12, 2011

Mommy's Ministry

Over the last 9 years that I've been a christian, I've done many different ministries. I've always had my children involved. When I first became a christian my oldest child was 6 years old. I dove into ministry serving as a youth leader in my church youth group. My husband and I brought him with us on a mission trip and we dragged him along in anything we did. Then child number two, three, and four came and the less I could be involved. I still helped out by cooking meals for people in need and I would help out in the nursery on Sunday mornings when needed. But that was about all I could do. It was a tough season for me to get through. I felt like I wasn't pulling my weight around the church and wanted to be more involved in things. I've had so many conversations with other young moms and they felt the same way. Then one day I was let in on a little secret by a more seasoned mom. MY CHILDREN ARE MY MINISTRY. I'm raising an army for God. I'm doing exactly what I need to be doing. I'm training my children to love others and serve God. Now my children are all a little older. My youngest is three years old and he tags along wherever our adventures take us. I've found many ways to be involved in ministries with my young children. We've served in the soup kitchen together, we've made meals for people in need within our church. We've also unpacked and folded clothes in our church mission. This week we're making cinnamon rolls with Happy Birthday Jesus tags on them and taking them to our neighbors. There are so many things that you can still do with your children even at young age. It might take a little extra work and some extra planning but it's possible to be involved and still be a good mom. And if you still can't find opportunities and all your doing is staying home raising your babies. That's where you need to be. There's a season for it all and your season will soon change. God has entrusted you with the most precious gift of all. His children. Raise them up for Him and He will be pleased.

1 comment: