Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Clean up, clean up, everybody, everywhere....

That's the tune playing through my head today. I'm going through all my closets and cupboards. Tossing the garbage and passing on the usable stuff. Even the kids are in on it. I gave them each a bag and and told them to fill it with the things they didn't want or play with anymore. What a great feeling it is to be organized and have things all neat and clean. So in the spirit of cleaning up I thought I'd offer up some organizing tips for some of the rooms of the house that tend to get cluttered.

The Bedroom - Start with the closet. Go through and get rid of anything that doesn't fit or you haven't worn in the last 18 months. If it's ripped or stained throw it away. If it's still wearable give it to your local mission. Now girls, when I say this... I know how hard it is to get rid of clothes. You got the clothes that you set aside for "fat days" and the "when I loose weight clothes". Get rid of them. If they're too big it will only give you the option to gain a few pounds. When your clothes start getting tight that means it's time too buckle down on some exercise and getting rid of bad eating habits. And for the clothes that are too small, well just think of how much incentive you'll have to loose weight if you get to go shopping when you loose the weight. After you've done that pack away your seasonal clothes that your not going to use for the next 4-6 months in a tote. You can store the tote in your closet or in an attic. Then switch them out at the start of the new season. Place some crates on the floor for shoes. Or better yet get a shoe rack or the closet. You can also store things under the bed in baskets too. Things like extra sheets and blankets or gift bags.

The Kitchen- Start with the cupboards and try to use to same rule of thumb that you used for your clothes. If you haven't used it in the last 18 months chances are you don't need it. Wipe down the cupboards as your going through things. Save old shoe boxes for things like plastic lids and cookie cutters. 
  My kitchen counters always get mail and papers piled on them. Then when I get sick of looking at the pile and pushing things out of my way, Ill go through it and I waste a half of time. After I got tired of this pattern I tried using one of those 3 tier letter organizers that you would put on your office desk. When you come in the house with your mail, toss the junk mail immediately and put bills in one tier, things that need to be filed in another and the things that need immediate attention in the top tier. Then it's all up off the counter and already sorted.

  The pantry is another place that always needs attention in my house. Go through your food items and get rid of out of date items and wipe down the shelves. I keep a big glass cookie jar in there that I pour boxes of individually wrapped snacks in. That saves me room on the shelves for other things. You can keep plastic baskets or a plastic storage container that you lost the lid too in there for small items like kool aid and salad dressing packets.

I hope that this post got some of you motivated. Happy cleaning!!!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment