Friday, August 26, 2011

Zucchini round up ~dessert ~

OK now it's time for some dessert. The kids wont even know that there's veggies in these.


Zucchini Whoopie Pies

1 C shredded zucchini
1 C sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ C shortening
1 egg
2 C flour
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
½ C milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 C nuts (optional)
 
Mix zucchini, sugar, shortening and egg. Add dry ingredients. Mix, alternating with milk. Combine and stir in vanilla and nuts. Drop by teaspoons on greased pan about 2 in apart. Make sure you only do a tsp because they double in size.  Bake at 350 deg for 7-10 minutes. I substituted the Vanilla Extract with Almond because I like it better. I didn't use nuts because I didn't have any and I used a can of cream cheese frosting from my pantry because I was low on confectioners sugar. Next time I will definitely add the nuts and make my own filling.
 
 
Filling:
4 oz cream cheese
3 T softened margarine
½ lb confectioners sugar
2 tsp vanilla


Cool whoopie pies. Spread filling on a whoopie pie than top with a second pie, like a sandwich. Then eat up.
This recipe makes about 40 sandwiches. It was hard to get a good count because the kids kept stealing them off the plate.


No comments:

Post a Comment