Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chioces!

So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up.

~ Galatians 6:9

I received this verse in my email this morning. It made me start to think about how as Christians we're always trying to do what is right in the eyes of God. Well most of us anyways. Why is it so tough to do the right thing? Sometimes I wonder is it really worth it. It would be so much easier to be like rest of the world and go with the flow. It would be so nice to only care about my own well being and do what is best for ME. A lot of the stress in my life is because I choose to swim against the current. I choose to do the right thing. I have this feeling deep inside. This feeling that makes me choose in all kinds of situations. Both the kind of situations that define who you are and the ones that don't really matter to anyone else but you. For example: this might sound really trivial to some of you.. but when I worked at Stewarts I opened the store early in the morning and I ran the register.  So sometimes it was only me working because it wasn't busy enough to have a second worker. I was new at the time. Every once in a while I would get a rush of people on their way into work. I would be running out of coffee and I'de have a line anxious men who haven't had there coffee yet.. all the way out to the door. You can imagine how intimidating this is to a 5ft 3in young girl. Sometimes the situation only got worse. I would run out of change because being by myself I hadn't had a chance to get the proper change out of the safe for my drawer. So now I need to give the guy in front of me 3 pennies back in change and I only have 2 and the line is only getting longer. So I have a decision to make. I could A: just hand him the 2 pennies and hope I wont need anymore, he probably is late for work and isn't going to miss his penny or B: explain my situation to the annoyed man in front of me and leave the line of people while I go into the office, unlock the safe and get the proper change out. Being the person that I am I chose B. For a couple different reasons. It would completely eat me up inside if I shorted him that penny. "Why?" you ask. It's only a penny. It's because I know that God is watching my every move. While I'm driving my car, while I'm at home with my kids, while I'm at work. He is always there through the good and the bad. The other reason for going to get the change is I know that there is no way that I'm going to get through that line without getting more change. Most of the time I would explain the situation to the person in front of me and they would say "don't worry about the penny". :)  After a while I got to know my morning crew pretty well and learned steps to prepare myself for that morning rush. As a parent I'm trying to teach my children that in this life there will be many choices to make. Choices that are both big and small. Choices that will define who they are.We wont always make the right choices. We are after all only human. But I encourage all of you when you make these choices to remember God's presence. Stay strong in your decisions. Don't ever waver from what you know is right. The Bible tells us to never forget that and to pray without ceasing. We should remind our children of him in every situation we face. We will all one day reap a harvest of blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment