Fruit and nut salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (you can leave out the celery if you want. I do.)
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 green onions, chopped
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, vinegar, parsley, and salt until blended. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large heavy skillet, melt sugar over medium-low heat without stirring until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Add pecans and butter; stir constantly until butter is melted and pecans are coated. Remove from the heat. Pour onto a foil-lined baking sheet; cool completely. Break pecans apart if necessary.
- In a salad bowl, combine the spinach, romaine, oranges, celery, strawberries and onions. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. (The recipe says to put the dressing on right before serving but I think it tastes better if you put on about a 30 min before) Top with sugared pecans. Makes 8-10 servings.