Wednesday, June 15, 2011

When did more become better?

This morning I took a good look around my house and realized that my house has been seriously neglected in the last few weeks or months. Not quite sure. My life has been a bit of a blur lately. Spring cleaning completely passed my house by this year. So I'm now in summer cleaning mode. While mopping my kitchen floor, I was thinking about my mop....exciting right. My mop is made by Rubbermaid. It's a Rubbermaid Reveal mop. Maybe you've seen them before. It has a washable pad and you can refill the solution canister with your own cleaning solution. I bought this mop because I liked the idea of the convenience of the Swiffer mop but the damage it does to the environment is terrible. Not to mention the money wasted buying refills. The more products they make like this, the more angry I get. Since when is it OK to create more garbage. What happened to all the effort that was being put into recycling. Now we're just making our landfills bigger. Seriously... we've like started making disposable everything. Our children are going to have a huge mess to clean up from this. It's not worth the convenience. So in the next week I'm going to start posting some recipes for homemade cleaning solutions and some ways that we can cut back on the damage that's being done. If anyone wants to share some ideas feel free to leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. I love white vinegar for the bathroom. For really tough soap scum, just warm it up a little and it eats right through it!

    I also use a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water for glass cleaner. I used to use a recipe that had rubbing alcohol, but I'd read that wasn't as good for you.

    Vinegar and water also work great for hardwood and vinyl type flooring. 1 c. vinegar to 1 gallon of warm water for vinyl flooring and only 1/2 c. vingegar with the water for hard wood.

    Baking soda works as a great abrasive if you need something like that.

    I had to start using the homemade version of cleaners when my asthma got really bad.

    ReplyDelete